Here are a few significant dates in our history.
Earliest Death, Avery Dean, May 17, 1790
Cemetery Consecrated June 7, 1860
- Scriptures & Invocation were given by Elder N.S. Chadwick
- Consecrating Prayer was offered by Rev. Jacob Ide, Jr.
- Address was given by D.W. Stevens
- Prayers & Benediction by Rev. John Bain
- Singing was under the direction of John Rogers
Winter Vault Erected 1889
Mary Lewis Card died June 14, 1896
Chapel dedicated in June 11, 1898
Simon W. Card died February 5, 1899
Elbridge Allen died June 18, 1897, at 14, interred in the only Mausoleum in the Cemetery
He was followed by his father Micah B. Allen, who died November 3, 1912 and
mother Hannah E. (Tarbox) Allen who died September 22, 1914
Mary Lewis J. Card died February 5, 1929
Concrete driveway in front of Chapel installed in 1932
Roadways paved in 1948
Boy Scouts added street signs in 2013 and 2014
Chapel refurbishing 2015 to Present and will continue as funds allow
Spring Brook Cemetery is an historic cemetery on Spring Street in Mansfield, Massachusetts. It was consecrated in 1860 as a non-profit, non-denominational cemetery on a 4-acre parcel of land, and has grown over time to 22 acres, and is now the largest of Mansfield's cemeteries. The area appears to have been used as a cemetery before its formal establishment; there are more than 50 graves that predate 1860, the oldest of which is marked 1790. The most prominent structure in the cemetery is the Card Memorial Chapel, designed by Charles Eastman and built in 1898 with funding from Simon and Mary Card, in memory of their daughter Lulu.
The cemetery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2007.